Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Ditto Cabbage Head"

Since I was a little kid, my Grandma and I had a great relationship.  She and I were cut from the same cloth.  She was a perceptive feeling kind of person like me and we spoke the same language of the heart.  She would let me sit on her lap and tell her all about what was going on in my small little world and listen with intense interest when I was small.  And as I got older, she would take me to our favorite little Victorian tea house for pasta salad and hot chocolate (we didn't like tea, but loved the ambiance :))  After we would get done talking she would say "Well, now we have solved the worlds problems."  With a smile that warmed my heart.

I have always been a pretty emotional kid. Very sensitive and very effected by my environment. My parents never seemed to be able to relate to that and as I got older it became a point of tension and made me feel crazy and odd. But my Grandma always had a way of helping me feel okay and understood. God bless all the grandmas out there that help their grandchildren feel loved.

I would tell her I loved her from when I was little kid till the last time I talked with her just 2 short years ago. And many a time she would say "ditto cabbage head"  She is gone now, but I can still hear her say it, and I feel the warmth of her love for me.  Her legacy lives on in my heart.

My mom and dad were in a bad relationship with each other full of abuse, yelling, manipulation, and eventually it turned into divorce.  During that time and even as an adult trying to find my way, my Grandma continued to share in my joys, pain, tears, and laughter, cheering me on and being the solace in the storm.

Who are the women in your life that have taken you under their wing and loved you? Who took the time to understand you in your life? God brought that person, placed that person with you at just the right time, with just the right gifts to speak to your heart in your time of need.  It was not by some random chance.

There is a promise in Philippians 4:19
"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."

He knows our needs and He knows how to meet those needs at just the right time with just the right person.  It's His way of saying He loves us with an unfailing love.

What kind of gift can you be to someone in your life because of God's love in you? Or Maybe, you just realized who that person is in your life is a gift from God.  Awesome Right! You didn't have to say or do anything first, He already said "Ditto Cabbage Head" "I love you too".


No comments: