Thursday, May 1, 2014

Noise turned to MayDay!

Happy May Day!  This is such a fun day I never new about until just in my adult life.  Apparently it is the day you are suppose to put a basket of flowers on your neighbor's porch and ring the door bell and run away. What fun!  No one really does it much  at least not where I have lived, but I think it is a super cool idea!

It makes me think of all the other fun and loving things we can do for our neighbors any time of year.  I'm one of the lucky ones that has some pretty nice and friendly neighbors.  One guy across the street comes over and helps me out with shoveling snow or one time cleaning my gutters.  Most of my street will at least smile and wave when I walk or drive down the street if they are in their yards.  It is nice to feel a sense of community.

With all the technology and techno gadgets we have people get more and more glued to their phones, tv's, or tablets that we barely socialize any more.  Even church can be bad, where people aren't really present in the service or paying attention to anything, but they are buried in their electronic stuff.  Sometimes it can look like a sea of zombies.

Not that this stuff is innately bad, but how do we even remotely hear God, when we have nothing but distraction?  We get up and turn on the news, listen to radio in the car to work, listen to the radio more at work, get back in our car for the same, and then home with tv or computer back on again till bed.  I know this isn't the first time you heard someone say this, but do we really get it?  Are we really awake?

As a Christian God calls us to multiply community, real, meaningful, face to face community and make disciples.
We are His hands and feet to the world. We can only do that if we are connected with Him.  If we are buried in a screen most of the time, then how do we even hear Him?

We will find more of what we really want outside of the screen than inside it.  I am discovering that in my own life. Even a year ago I didn't have much real connection time with anyone and my heart was suffering.  Then this family fight went down, and I felt nearly every last good thing was pulled out.

But over the last year, leaning into God and asking Him to change my heart to want Him more. My screen techno time goes down and my meaningful relationships go up.  I also, notice I'm more open to reaching random others, that were totally outside of my agenda, but obviously in God's.  The homeless man, and yesterday a girl grieving over her Grandmother dying.  Today a man in tears over missing his recently pasted wife. 

God's voice speaks and I feel a burning in my heart and I get to see Him work in peoples lives.  Maybe a May basket would turn a neighbor's day around. Maybe you love writing letters and it brightens a friend in need. Maybe you love to sew and you make something for elderly widow down the street.  We all have gifts God wants to use. But we have to clear out the noise of the world to hear His voice.

How can you shut down the noise to hear God more? & What can your May basket be to someone in need that you know?  You'll be the one left with the gift greater than you ever thought possible! Real Community and Communion with God.

No comments: