Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Frutful with Joy Complete

We all like to matter to someone. Many of us spend a lot of time trying to be significant in some way, either now or for the future.  For a very long time, I tried several ways of trying to accomplish this.  It never really worked out too well. Very self focused.

With this new place that I have found with God, I find I want to be fruitful, leave a legacy that goes beyond myself. People that have done this in incredible ways is Mother Theresa, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, and Joni Eareckson Tada to name a few (those in my profession especially appreciate this lady).  These people have made impacts in the world that continue to ripple and bless others. Some of them long after they are gone. 

I don't expect to be someone high profile like these, but I still want to leave something of beauty, life changing, and eternally meaningful behind.  I want to leave a garden full of flowers, trees, and plants of hearts moved by God that bring their own blessing, love, and peace to others after I'm long gone. 

There is a beautiful section in John I love.  It is a wonderful metaphor for how God works in us to be fruitful. For the length of the blog, I put excerpts not every verse, but if you have time, sooooo worth the full read. :)
 
John 15:1-17.

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful....
 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing....
"This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."
 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love....
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you....
"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit —fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. "

Now, this next little bit is not to necessarily, toot my horn.  I know someone may say this at some point.  I only share this to show how God is changing me, because I would never even think of doing these things in the past, and now I am with joy.

One of the first things that came to my mind to live a life fruitful was to sponsor a child in 3rd world country.  I used to be the one in the Christian concert thinking "Really, again they are begging for money, are you kidding me?" "I'm tired of these guilt trip fests with all the sad eyed kid pictures" I'm sure at least some of us might admit we have thought some or all of these things.

Guilt is not the place that my sponsorship came from.  I had just gotten done reading the book Radical by David Platt, and was completely moved by the idea that God blesses us so that we can bless others.  It's not just about me getting all the material things I want, it is about turning these blessing around for the good of those in need, to change their life for the better and change my heart.

I decided, that if I was possibly not going to get my dream of a husband and kids (PRUNE), maybe, through the blessings God gives me, I could still have kids.  A wall full of pictures of kids around the world that might get a chance to know God and have a better life, because God loves and blessed me.  My heart was so filled and moved, I sponsored a child through world vision (FRUIT).  Of course, knowing me, I had to pick the little guy that looks like he is grumpy. lol :) But you know, praying for him, and looking at his cranky furrowed 5 year old brow, makes me smile and moves my heart.

There are other things that are continuing to move in me that in some ways are already being fruitful.  I may not even know of some of them until heaven. But all of this has changed my focus an perspective of my life here on this planet and what I am really here for. As Jesus promises us in the verse, my joy is complete.

As a single or even just a human on this planet, what blessings does God give you that you can bless someone else?    I Dare ya to share it! :)

No comments: