Friday, April 25, 2014

Spring Cleaning and a Homeless Man

So recently at my church there was a prayer conference. A pastor that has made it his mission to learn more about prayer.  I really enjoyed it and learned so much.  I had already started praying on my drives to work, because it is such an easy time to talk to God.  I usually have a long commute most days, so it is perfect.

This pastor was talking about taking time to really clear the path between you and God in prayer, before going through your prayer list or requests.  He made the suggestion to open up to God and pray for forgiveness.  He stated it really changed His prayer life. He said it helped him hear God more and be driven more by the Holy Spirit when the need presents itself.

It really made sense to me. So I have been doing this.  I want to hear God's voice more, especially in the moment, so when God brings someone in my way to help, I'm totally tuned in and can be the help needed.  I'm sure there are times when I do something and never know if I helped someone or not but there are times that can give us a glimpse that we heard God, obeyed, and God blessed.

This week I had a day where I had prayed more about this.  And in the evening, I saw a guy just wandering behind a fast food restaurant.  He was walking in kind of a listless way and seemed a little off.  I hadn't planned on driving that direction but I saw this gentlemen. As I pulled near him, I just felt like I should ask if he was alright.  The guy looked at me and then in my car and said "actually I could use something to eat, could you spare a little"

Now this guy was in a part of town that is not at all homeless central.  Our little section of town is anything but.  He was walking back behind the restaurant not close to a street like most do to beg.  For a moment, I thought what am I doing? Then I looked into his eyes and realized, maybe I was suppose to be here for this guy right here right now.  So I pulled out my cash and gave it to him.  He graciously thanked me and bowed his head in a respectful nod and kept walking.

I know some people think you shouldn't give cash like that, because maybe it would feed a drinking habit.  I don't know about this guy. It might have.  Or it might have been a good thing especially when I think about the timing and circumstances. I hope that he was able to have a good meal that night and feel blessed.

Looking on it now I wonder if I could have done more or should have done something else, but maybe this was God's way of showing me how to listen and read the signs.  So I keep praying to clear the space between God and my heart so I can hear better.  Next time maybe I will know what more I can do, but I do feel it was a step closer to hearing God and being ready to serve.

So I guess looking at the prayer thing, it is kinda like spring cleaning only every day. It cleans the sins and junk of our lives so that it doesn't bog us down, cloud our vision, and jumble up communication with God.  It keeps the devil from getting that little edge to pull us away.  If we continue giving these things up to God, the devil looses his power over us and we are more free to hear God speak and have His Spirit poured out on us.

So God bless that homeless man out there.  I added him to my prayers. And I pray, I get better at hearing God to know how to do more when the moments come up like this one.  

Need some spring cleaning? Wanting to hear Him more? Or maybe you're feeling homeless? Ask God to cleanse you with His wonderful powerful forgiveness and feel Him wash over you, speak to you, and give you a home of peace in your heart. 

No comments: