Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Run On Sisters, Run On!

Ok, so the extra fresh air I got on Sunday or the Mountain Dew I drank over the weekend must have zapped the rational side of my brain.  Yesterday, I signed up for the running part of a triathlon...... I know I'm crazy! Anyone that really knows me, knows I am NOT a runner.  In fact running is my least favorite of all activities. 

So I know myself well enough to know that if I was going to do this, I had to first commit and sign up, then tell all my friends so I cant back out without major humiliation. Done and Done.

I also knew that if I didn't go to the shoe store right after work and get the running shoes, I would find an excuse not to start as well.  So there was no supper, no detours, no collecting $200 dollars, or passing Go. :)   (for all you game lovers out there) I drove straight to the shoe place, that a runner friend of mine, told me to go.

Now why would I lose all sense of logical Kori reason :) and do this you ask? For my friend.  I'm going to visit her over seas later this summer and I have to be in shape.  She lives in a pretty mountainous country and she loves hiking.  So with the altitude difference she is already at an advantage even if she wasn't a very active sister. But of course, she is pretty active.  So if I plan on keeping up with her and enjoying our time more together, I need to kick it in gear.

I cannot seem to drag myself out to exercise by myself.  Even though I'm introverted, I am a social exerciser.  But this will force me to get out there. I have never been able to run over 2 miles in my life ever.  This race is 4.5 miles, so I have to get on a running program and stick with it or I will stink badly and again humiliate myself.

Therefore, Monday with one screw loose I agreed to this death sentence of physical misery :) LOL  And today, I ran my first day of the running program with this free app you can get for your phone called Couch to 5k.  Not too bad honestly, I thought it would be awful but it makes you run 60 sec then walk 90 secs to start, 5 min warm up and cool down.  I was sweating but not dying.  So I think if it continues to build slowly, I might just make it :)

God calls us to a race too.  Paul talks about it a lot in the new testament. 
  • In Acts 20:24 he says: " However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me —the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."
Isn't that our job as Christians too? We also know the race will not be easy and takes discipline, but if we keep our eyes on Jesus we will make it. 
  • Hebrews 12:1-3 helps us understand as well: " Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart"
I like how it says "surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses"  It is like the running thing for me.  If I tell a big group of my friends then they not only hold me accountable to keep running but cheer me on.  It helps me to stay on task and make it easier to throw off distractions and things that try and steal my time and give me excuses to not stay on track.

The other part I like is where it says "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of  faith" In my running if I keep my minds eye on being with my friend and hiking the trails with her, I can keep my focus.  The even better thing about God is that He gave us Jesus that ran the race before us to look to.  And not only that...... wait for it..... Jesus is the perfecter of our faith!  Meaning, He helps us to keep the faith and grow it so we can finish the race of shining His goodness and love to the world through any adversity!  Way Cool!

So I'm reminded despite my momentary lapse in judgement, this whole running thing may be very good indeed.  And not only physically, but mentally as well.  It will hone my determination and help me concur some mental barriers for me too.

What challenge are you up against?  Don't loose heart! Fix your eyes on Jesus!  He has gone before you!  He will help you run the race and grow your faith to perfection!  Run on Sisters, Run on!!!

No comments: