Thursday, May 14, 2015

Power in a Pile of Rocks






So I have these little pile of rocks around my house. Not because I'm some secret geologist or planning to build a miniature rock castle in my back yard someday. :)  My sweet little niece who is 3 loves them and loves to give them away to the people she loves. 

She doesn't seem to have much discernment in picking her rocks she will pick nearly anyone out there. All colors sizes and shapes can qualify from pea sized gravel to as big as her fist, It matters not. She will at any given moment have at least 3 rocks somewhere on her person hand or pockets. 

Today I walked by my little pile on my end table in the living room as I tried to clear away some clutter and noticed her little treasures again sitting in their place smiling at me. 

It makes me think of how many small gifts and talents we are given, what little things we are drawn to and treasure. God has blessed each one of us with special gifts however big or small. 
  • 1 Corinthians 12:4-7 - "There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
     Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good." NIV
I love how the verse says there are different kinds of gifts but the same God at work and all given for the common good.

What gift has God given you? No matter how big or small God calls you to use it. Some people have the gift of writing letters, or mowing lawns, or saying something encouraging, or listening, or collecting rocks. It may seem small and insignificant but not even the smallest gift goes unnoticed by God and those who receive it.

Those plain little rocks aren't plain to me. They bring me waves of joy and love every time I see them and remember the gift of a loving heart and hand they came from.  So to someone else those rocks are nothing, but to me they mean the world.

Never underestimate the power your spiritual gifts God has given you and how they can change a life. From the outside observer it may seem like nothing but a couple rocks, but to the one that receives it may be more precious than gold and warms the heart of God.

No comments: