Saturday, May 9, 2015

Dare to Speak



I got to spend some time with my niece and nephew today. They are such great kids. And I pray for them constantly for God to enlighten them and draw them and show His love to them. I want them to find that wonderful loving God I know.  Every once in awhile I get a glimpse that God is working.

So as we were driving in the car my nephew says he has a hard time telling his friends at school about Jesus. I asked him why and he said it was because he has friends he knows does not like Jesus or are not Christians. I tried to encouraged him as I can, but I too understand his dilemma.

As much as I encourage him and long for him to find the courage to be a God follower.  His comments and thoughts still ring in my ears and make me think and considered my life as well.

Don't we all as Christians struggle with this very concept.  I struggle with this all the time. I want to reach the world but I also struggle to acknowledge God before my friends especially the ones I know aren't really Christian or even a little resistant.  I like to think I do better than I used to but I think if I were really under pressure would I speak up despite the cost of losing a friend or being mocked for my belief.  I have to say I empathize with my nephew but also know that God wants us to speak up.  Jesus gives us instruction on this very thing in Matthew.
  • Matthew 10:32-33 - "“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven." NIV
Jesus goes on in this passage to say He did not come to bring peace to the earth but a sword and to turn family against each other.  Initially this sounds harsh and crazy, but he says a key point that puts in more in perspective.
  • Matthew 10:37 - "“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." NIV
Basically, Jesus knows that if we love anyone or anything more than Him we will parish on this earth.
  •  Matthew 10:39 - " Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it" NIV
How do I make God so important that I would sacrifice even my closest relationships for Him?  It is something that Jesus calls us all to do, that we should love Him more than anything or anyone else.

It is a process but as we look to Jesus and grapple with these questions, He transforms us day by day to get to the point that if the time comes we will have the courage to do just that.  Dying to ourselves and looking to Him gives us life eternal and helps us reach our world.

I'm glad to see my nephew is seeing these things and looking to find answers to these critical questions so early in life. It is a sign that God is calling on his heart. He isn't perfect at it, but he is learning. And as I think on it, I realize I too am learning the same as he is to acknowledge more my loving Lord and Savior to the world around me.

Through this little chat with my nephew, it reinforces to me the importance of always looking to Jesus for my strength to speak up when at times I might feel like shrinking back.

How can you step up and speak up more for God and acknowledge Him more to those around you?  How can we all focus our eyes on Him more in our day?   The smallest moment acknowledging God before others can plant seeds that can produce a harvest 10 fold. So take courage my friend and dare to speak!

No comments: