Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Counterfeit or the Real Thing?



So I have been thinking a lot lately about how we as Christians can see and hear God better.  Mainly because I struggle to know I hear God sometimes especially when it relates to others.  An example would be knowing when to ask someone about their walk with God or if they know Jesus. It is easier for me to think I hear God when it relates to Him encouraging me.  

This world is so distracting.  Our environment is flooded with noise everywhere.  There is constant vying for our attention from someone.  The radio, TV, movies, advertizements, news.... a never ending stream of entertainment and information thrown at us.  

Over time my longing to be used by God goes up.  However, I feel this tension in me where the desire is there but because I don't really know when God is speaking sometimes. I feel at a loss.  I feel I miss opportunities to share Jesus.  I don't want to fall back into old habits and patterns.  I want to get more and more in tune so when God says move, I move, and when He says speak, I speak, and when He says Go, I go without hesitation because I know his voice.  I don't want to stay stuck in this land of doing what I think is right and comfortable for me. 

How do we hear Him better?  How do we know when it is someone else or our own sinful nature taking over telling us what we should do?

Well, driving to work the other day I started thinking about my cousin and how she used to work for a bank.  If I remember correctly, my aunt was saying that part of her training was to learn how to recognize counterfeit money.  I was intrigued so I asked more of how she learns this.  My aunt said she thought it was interesting because they never had her focus on the possible examples of counterfeit bills, they only had her focus on the real thing.  By spending time focused on the real bills after a while when a fake one came through she could tell just by the feel of the bill because she was so in tune with the real thing. 

Then the verse  in Philippians came to to mind. 
  • Philippians 4:8 - "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things" NIV
These things spoke to me.  What I focus on helps me to know when it is God and when it is something else. In this world it is hard to do this and I struggle quite a bit to break free of things that are not part of the above list in Philippians.  If I fill my mind with things not good like the list of entertainment full of stories and songs of death, betrayal, and all other things, how do I hear God?  Of course I get confused and don't know whether i hear God.

By considering this, there are probably some hard decisions and sacrifices I have to make to really do this.  If I do only what is comfortable in my walk with God, is it really walking with God? God is saying "Lets clear the path between us so we can communicate better"  "I have so much to tell you and show you" " Let me help to remove this clutter so you can hear me"

Honestly..... I'm afraid of letting  go of some of these things.  I lean on them to feel comfortable.  But I see how they eat away at my relationship with God and keep me from really hearing Him in the crucial moments sometimes.  But I don't want to get stuck.... I want to keep moving forward with God.

Now is the time to really trust and let go and focus on the Real Thing so I know what is counterfeit.  I need to get serious.... This is not a game.... this is about God saving lives working through me.

Are we ready.... are we focused on the Real and Only True God? Are we filling our minds and spirits with Good, Noble , Lovely, Admirable things or do we let our desires run free to gobble up whatever feels good at the moment?  All those things will eventually destroy us!  Do you hear me?  Destroy us from the inside out to the point we can no longer hear our loving Savior.

It is not easy to let go of these things but guess what?..... If we call on Him, He can pull us out and help us focus on Him.  He is our strength.  Look to Him! Choose Him! Ask Him to free you!

God Bless and Free us all to hear Him more in our lives Amen!



 

No comments: