Monday, October 20, 2014

More Than Enough

So I know I don't talk a ton about being single. Mainly because God fills my life with so many other things worthy of mentioning over the single life.  When it boils down to it my fight with God over being single is what, bent my knee to finally totally surrender to our loving God.  Since then, I started asking myself  "If I don't get married and have kids, what legacy do I leave?"  "What is my life worth on this planet?"

My mission/purpose without God was do what the world is doing.  Get a good job, a husband, and make a family.  Now these are not bad things, but when achieving these things above all else including God, they become idols.  They become life sucking obsessions that drive a person to do unhealthy crazy things, rather than life giving beautiful things.

I never could wrap my mind around God being enough for me until I hit rock bottom in my obsessions over this.
It doesn't change my desire for these things, but changes my perspective on the purpose for my life.  Letting go of these things and giving them to God, made space for God to come in and be enough for me.  My plan and tight grip was killing me from the inside out. God's plan and my open hand brings me joy and peace beyond what I could ever understand or dream of before.

After I surrendered, my focus has turned to God and being fruitful in Him. Showing others the love of God.  I have been reading again this week John 15-16. Jesus lays out so beautifully how to abide and surrender to Him. How we are called to be fruitful by letting Him work in our lives, and how this will bring joy & power in His name.  He doesn't mince words though and is clear that trouble doesn't go away, but that we can have peace in trouble because He has overcome the world.
  • John 15:16-17 - " You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit —fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command:Love each other." NIV
  • John 16:33 - "“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" NIV
I love these verses! These verses tell me, don't believe what you see.  Know that Jesus has overcome everything we face so we can have peace in our trials of life.  This gives me purpose beyond my own my own life and and my desires.   To have the courage to love and bear fruit with Gods strength!  

By no means am I perfect in loving others.  My sinful nature still gets in the way sometimes.  But I'm getting better because of God's work, and my heart is filled more with joy over God's love.  He is becoming more than enough.  I am getting to see how He works to make my life fruitful when I keep my eyes on Him and let Him work in my life.

I know for some of you this may seem cliche' or hard to grasp.  You may feel like you are terrified of letting go of your dreams in your life for fear you will be left with nothing.  I know your pain and frustration and remember how acutely painful it was and sometimes still is to see your friends all get your dream.  It may seem impossible for you to be happy without it and darkness may seem to be your constant friend.  I am over the hill telling you, Jesus IS enough! I know it to be true! Let Go and see what love He pours out on your heart! 

There may still be husband and kids in the mix for me & even for you, but even if not God IS enough!  And the joy in abiding in Him and watching how He works in our lives to bear fruit is beyond anything we can imagine or dream ourselves! 

No comments: